Can I use a laptop as a monitor? Absolutely yes! An extra monitor gears your workstation for success. Multi-monitors create an impressive office setup. Connecting your laptop screen to an external one presents an opportunity for you to complete multiple tasks concurrently.
A laptop-to-external monitor setup may not need any technical skills, but it does require accuracy and efficiency. When most people think of using laptops as external monitors, the only thing that comes to mind is the use of HDMI cable. HDMI cables only output your laptop contents but can’t output the contents of the other device to your laptop.
So How Can I Use a Laptop as a Monitor?
Converting a laptop screen into a monitor won’t be like your 1-minute task of using HDMI to output laptop videos and images to a larger screen. When the laptop has to act as the monitor for content outputted from another device, understanding technical slangs and techniques is crucial. Don’t be left out. Enhance your IT knowledge and skills with this easy guide on how to use a laptop as a monitor.
Using chrome remote desktop application
In turning your laptop into a monitor, the first most practical way is to use Google’s unpaid Chrome Remote Desktop app. Use this application to mirror content from one laptop to the other or from a desktop to a laptop screen. Follow these steps to complete the exercise.
- Head to remotedesktop.google.com from your desktop or laptop computer from which you want to project the screen. On the page’s top section where there are two links, click on the Remote Support icon.
- On the page that pops up, choose the download icon.
- Wait for the extension to install.
- Click the Generate code button. Save the code that’s generated and displayed on your computer.
- Log onto the laptop where the screen will be projected to. Open the Google Remote Desktop page and click on the Remote Support. Scroll down the page until you discover the Give Support Section. On this page, enter the code you generated above.
- Choose the connect button to display the contents of the other computer on your laptop screen.
Can I use a laptop as a monitor? – use the Miracast feature
If you’re not satisfied with the quality and efficiency of the chrome remote desktop app, you should consider using Miracast. Miracast is one of the most effective Windows 10 systems’ features that allows you to project the contents of your computer to a laptop screen. For this technique to work, the two computers must be running on the latest Windows 10 version.
- Log into the laptop you intend to project to and click on the start menu option. Type settings and click on the Settings application.
- On the page that pops up, choose the system icon.
- A display screen will open. On the left side menu of the displayed screen, click on projecting to this PC button.
- A new screen will be opened. Set the first dropdown to Available everywhere and the second one to Every time a connection is needed. As for the third dropdown, set as Never.
- On the computer you want to project the screen from, find and click on the notifications icon. It’s mostly found in the desktop’s lower right corner. Now, click the Connect icon.
- The system will search for all nearby wireless displays, and the laptop you’re casting will be listed here. Select it to initiate the connection process.
- A notification verifying the connection will be sent to your secondary laptop. Allow it by clicking on the permissions icon.
- That will launch a new display of the first computer on your laptop screen.
Cast the screen using a third-party application
For those using computers that don’t run on Windows 10, a third-party app will get everything sorted. There is an incredible range of apps you can use to cast your content to a laptop’s screen, including Spacedesk, Ultramon, Synergy, and Input Director. You can always use any app you deem perfect for you. In this article, we will give details on how to use Spacedesk to project a computer screen to another laptop screen.
- On the primary laptop, search, download, and install the Spacedesk application. Before you start the download process, ensure your laptop is either 64-bit or 32-bit and runs on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
- After the application has been successfully installed, find and choose the notifications icon on the taskbar and the Spacedesk icon. Doing so will launch the Server Window for you to confirm whether the status is ON or idle.
- On the other laptop, find and install the Spacedesk software’s viewer version. Follow the installation process properly. Click on the Launch Spacedesk viewer option in the last app’s installation stage. The viewer version of Spacedesk is available for installation on Android, Windows, and iOS devices. The viewer software looks and feels almost the same in all devices and systems.
- Once the application is launched, wait until a server is detected and click on it. That way, the secondary laptop will be converted into an extended display in which the desktop running the server software will display its contents.
- The resolution and quality of the content displayed on your laptop screen may not be very intriguing, sometimes. Don’t panic, though. The app allows you to utilize the Display settings on your primary desktop computer to adjust the position and resolution of the images cast to the secondary laptop screen.
Also, here’s all you need to about what screen resolution is.
Can I Use a Laptop as a Monitor – Conclusion
Can I use a laptop as a monitor? In conclusion, it’s no rocket science to use a laptop as a monitor for content cast from another computer or laptop. Casting content from a computer to another one doesn’t have to be complicated. There are quite several ways in which people using devices running on Windows can cast content from one computer to the other.
None of the methods we suggested above will require the use of cables. Miracast works amazingly, but it may be quite involving. You want to try several third-party apps to seamlessly share the content as most of them are easy to set up.